Steps to Host a Mystery Tea Tasting Party
- Select an assortment of teas: Get 5 different flavors. Pick some old favorites with added ingredients, and others with fanciful names.
- Brew a pot for each type of tea: Make sure you keep track of which is which by assigning a letter to each type of tea, then label the teapots. You can write the letters in non-permanent stickers and paste them to the lids or simply place a little sign next to each teapot.
- Prepare the playing cards: A piece of paper with two columns, one with the letters of the teas in alphabetical order, and another one with the names of the teas in a random order.
- Sampling and matching the teas: Provide each person with a teacup, a playing card and a pen. They can now start to sample the teas, and try to match the letters to the correct names.
- Reveal the correct answers: You can now reveal the answers and give a gift to the person who has had the most correct guesses!
And as in any other tea event, you also get to enjoy yummy finger sandwiches, scones, cake or pie and any other tea treats you love.
Oh! And there is an additional benefit to mystery tea tasting parties: it is polite to slurp your tea! As with wine, professional tea tasters slurp their tea from a spoon to experience the full flavor of the tea in all parts of their palate.
Check out My English Tea Party's vintage tea party packages. They include everything you need to host a mystery tea tasting party.